10 Pet Electrical Safety Tips
Recently the charity Electrical Safety First compiled some research into pet electrical safety and released a video showing what happened when a cat and dog were left at home alone.
Of course we have to leave our loved ones alone as we can't be with them all the time so we approached local firm Sussex Star Electrical for any tips on keeping our pets safe.
Here are ten great tips :
1, Check your wiring regularly for any damage or fraying, replace immediately.
2, Free standing lamps and bulbs can reach a high temperature and can easily start a fire if knocked over by a playing pet.
3, Don’t plug a mobile phone in to charge and then forget about it. Never leave devices plugged in to charge overnight or while you are out of the house. Look out for the CE mark that indicates chargers comply with European Safety standards.
4, Don't let you pet nap behind electrical appliances such as computers, heaters, dryers, etc
5, Purchase Pet-proof cords or coat cords with a bitter substance to discourage chewing.
6, Make sure that any electrical items that are plugged in are fully plugged in so that the metal prongs are not showing as a curious pet could touch these.
7, Tuck away any loose electrical cords out sight sight behind appliances.
8, Don't overload plug sockets.
9, Never leave appliances unattended – don’t turn the dishwasher or washing machine on just before you leave the house
10, Don’t leave portable heaters switched on and unattended, this can be particularly risky when pets are running around and likely to knock things over.
They also recommend that you should have an Electrical Installation Condition Report carried out at least once every ten years or if you are buying a house also every five years for rented accommodation or on the change of tenancy. firstname.lastname@example.org.
Thanks to the guys at Sussex Star Electrical